Wednesday, March 5, 2014

True or False? It takes 18 tons of pressure on a piano's strings for it to be tuned.

 TRUE! 

  1. That the average medium size piano has about 230 strings
  2. each string having about 165 pounds of tension,
    with the combined pull of all strings equaling approximately eighteen tons!                                        *Uh, that's 37,950 pounds of tension!
  3. The total string tension in a concert grand is close to Thirty Tons!                                                *60,000 pounds of tension!        (source: www.pianoworld.com/facts) my note written in red italics
So, actually ... it depends on the piano. It is TONS of pressure no matter what size of piano you are. Eighteen tons of pressure is applied on a "average medium size" piano.   

"God will tune you to perfect harmony with heaven's theme if you will withstand the strain." "May we fear attempting to remove ourselves from the hands of His loving discipline due to our discouragement and doubt."  ~ L.B. Cowman, Streams in the Desert, daily devotional 


Reflecting back, I have described my own life struggles to cause TONS of pressure and tension. However, when I think about all that pressure applied to very thin strings which is endured by a piano to enable the musician to orchestrate a symphony of songs and realizing an elephant weighs about two-tons, my pressures just got lighter. In my personal stretch of faith, I am still learning to surrender to the pressure of being tuned by God.

Yesterday, March 3rd, a precious friend celebrated another birthday in heaven.  
Lettie Burd Cowman (March 3, 1870 – April 17, 1960) I treasure the letters she penned and left behind. 365 to be exact. Each exposing notes of wisdom and tidbits from various sermons, readings, writings, and poetry she had collected over the years along with personal struggles and triumphs that equipped her to press on. Oh, what encouragement each letter is to me! Lettie B. Cowman was the wife of Rev. Charles Cowman, founder of the Oriental Missionary Society. This organization was founded by Rev. Cowman for the purpose of evangelizing and setting up native ministries in Japan, Korea, China, and Formosa. They served as missionaries for 20 years. 

For almost 26 years now, each morning my husband Darry and I pull out a letter from Lettie written for today. Each letter is always so perfectly fitting for our moment. I am amazed that someone I have not yet met face to face cared enough to leave letters to strengthen my personal daily walk and remind me of Jesus' unconditional love.

Real life gives us so many reasons for giving up. I am writing this note to encourage you, when the pressure seems more than you can stand - throw on the praise music and just stand. 
    "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

GOOD to be reminded! 

God's best,
Pamela



No comments:

Post a Comment