Thursday, April 2, 2015

Bare Necessities

WELCOME to another day's adventure with the Lisembys!
The day started early yesterday with the kids serving students from Louisiana breakfast at a place called PSALMS CAMP in Arkansas. 

(Insert Important Note: If your church family needs a Home-Mission project, Psalms Camp is a great idea! These students spend their spring break freshening up the camp - racking, painting, cleaning, repairing, building and having a lot of fun, too - to prep for incoming campers in the days ahead.) 

After serving, it was time to head to our annual trip to the dentist to just polish our smiles - just routine visit - with the exception that it was a first visit to a new-to-my-kids-dentist located in the city they were born, and the exception we don't usually make a trip to the dentist a family & friends outing... Two of the cousins asked to tag along to giggle with the kids awhile longer and I asked, "You do know we are going to the dentist, right? And we will probably be awhile?" I'm personally thinking BORING. Just sitting in a lobby trying to be quite would not be my plan for a fun trip. The response, "Yes, we want to go and besides we love to visit Dr. Durmon," they said with great enthusiasm. 

The 25 minute trip to town was filled with lots of giggles and belly laughs while from oldest to youngest they each selected one of their favorite songs from Classic Disney movies for everyone onboard to sing. Songs like "I Won't Say I'm in love," "So this is Love," "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," "Reflection," "I Can Go the Distance," "Part of Your World," "Hakuna Matata," "Let it GO!," "A Whole New World",  "Love is an Open Door", "I'm Wishing", "In the Jungle", "When Will My Life Begin", "Strong", etc, etc. - Talk about a joyful noise!

Do you remember this one?

The Bare Necessities
From "The Jungle Book"
Composed by Terry Gilkyson

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old mother nature's recipes
That bring the bare necessities of life

Wherever I wander
Wherever I roam
I couldn't be fonder of my big home
The bees are buzzin' in the tree
To make some honey just for me
When you look under the rocks and plants
And take a glance at the fancy ants
Then maybe try a few

The bare necessities of life
Will come to you
They'll come to you!

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue

The bare necessities of life will come to you
They'll come to you! 

Just picture me driving a bunch of giggly girls singing (loud) and one silly boy who provides the sound effects and goofy inserts. It was a trip filled with lots of love and laughter that spilled over in song. Even when moments before leaving the camp they were praying hard together for momma/Aunt Joy just before she climbed into another vehicle headed to Little Rock to a world unknown to us for a full body scan and meeting with the oncologist about her recently diagnosed rare cancer. 

As I listened, I was encouraged. I had to smile. These joyful spirits were singing their hearts out despite the recent diagnosis of cancer that is very real to each of us now and really has rocked our world, but not our foundation which is built upon Jesus Christ. We know NOTHING catches Him by surprise. Living out our faith is not an easy task when we don't understand what God is up to, nor if His plan is our plan... Sure, we each have moments of tons of tears and questions. Surrendering to God's will in all things each day is a must in order to not become bitter and angry. We are not hopeless because Jesus is our hope. We are clinging to Him. And, yes, keeping the PRAISE music cranked up, too! 

Each breath of Life is a gift. Each day has a special ride of its own kinda similar to an amusement park. Some fun. Some scary. We know He is working all things out for our good and His glory. The Bible tells us so. 

So, this time my sister-in-love, Joy, is assigned the front seat but we are all buckled up and hanging on tight for this roller coaster ride called cancer. (Please add Joy and the entire family to your prayers.)

- Oh, we did make it to the dentist. Life is too short to be boring...Dr Durmon loves to hear about the Lisembys latest adventures of sharing Jesus and their life adventures so he lined up five (5!) chairs to listen while polishing up their smiles. When it was my turn to climb in the dentist chair, I felt like It was my turn at school for Show & Tell with such an audience. It was another trip the family will still be talking about in the years to come. 

Bare Necessities music video: 

I love memory making moments like these.

GOOD to be Reminded!

No comments:

Post a Comment